On the odd chance somebody from outside my tiny Cheshire village finds and likes this writing blog, I suppose an introduction is in order.
I’m Sophie. I’m 26. I’m basically always cranky.
Honestly I’m just using the exact template WordPress already gave me. You may call it lazy, but I call it efficient, and I think that little exchange sums up like 75% of who I am as a person.
We’ll call this blog article an introduction, but depending on how you feel about it I might rename it a warning. WordPress has asked me, ‘Why do this?’
- Because it gives new readers context. What am I about? Why should you read my blog?
- Because it will help me focus my own ideas about my blog and what I’d like to do with it.
Quite honestly, I’m simply using this blog to flex my writing skills. I miss writing creatively and writing critically. It’s taken me until the age of 26 to start owning skills that people have been telling me I’ve had since I was about 2.
I want to write professionally. How realistic that is, we’ll find out as we go along, but finding my voice, practicing my craft and having a ramble about society, culture, and food online seems like a relatively harmless way to get started.
I’m also convinced it will save the people I love from having to let me know go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on…
Here’s some basics about me, but if you could also imagine me 5st lighter that would be great too:
- I grew up in Holmes Chapel and now live in Stockport
- My mum was Scottish and I absolutely milk the celtic roots of my heritage because of it
- Dogs are my most favourite thing of all time I love them all
- I am fat. Doesn’t affect my personality but if I need to put it on Tinder, I need to put it on here
- I have two brothers, one older, one younger
- Being the only girl and the middle child is just too much
- My dad is essentially ‘off the grid’ and has no concept of modern pricing after being housebound for the best part of a decade
- I have blue eyes and brown hair that is constantly getting bleached and dyed
- My partner has the same birthday as me aside from the year
- My ex-partner had the same birthday as Adolf Hitler. I have the same birthday as Eva Braun. That should have been a sign
- I like certain pockets of every music genre, but I tend to lean towards the indie/rock side of things
- I’ve seen all the films
- I fucking hate lasagne
By no means do I think this is the best or necessarily the worst about me. Just stuff of note and things that have shaped me into who I am. It’s an amuse bouche of me I suppose, enough to show if I’ll provoke an attack from you or if I would amuse you.
Hopefully it’s enough to convince you to join me on this online journey. I didn’t enjoy writing that sentence, I felt like a very seedy old man who listens to prog-rock and has a wizard painted on his sketchy van.
But I’ve written it now, no turning back, we’re in this together, us against the world. Hot takes on societal expectations, articles with sociology and psychology themes. Critiques on Netflix dramas and documentaries. Fantasising about food and bragging about places I get to eat at.
God help us all.